Wednesday, August 8, 2018

   So after over two years I'm back doing this blog. I guess I just need the creative outlet. So why did I stop in the first place? Not that I owe anyone an explanation but here it is. I had a family member trolling this blog and not telling me. Just waiting for me to write something that they did not agree with so they could start a shitstorm. I just wasn't into this blog for a long time. But now ask me how many fucks I give.
   I guess we have some catching up to do. It's been so long, so much has changed. So when I last posted I was living in Toledo, Ohio. I was convinced that I was dying. I could not get up to do anything without having these pains in my back, and if I pushed them too far I'd be throwing up. The doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me.
   So two Christmas's ago my mom talks me into coming home for Christmas in Florida one last time. I get there and I can't get up off the couch. Finally she takes me to the hospital, and they figure out what's wrong with me.
   I was very close to death at this point. I remember once the nurse came into my room all panicked saying that my bowels had fallen asleep, and I needed to get up and moving around to get them back going. This sounded funny to me. I had never heard of anyone's bowels falling asleep. My friend Drew's wife is an OBGYN so I texted him and asked if your bowels can fall asleep. He texted back right away "No!". So I was terrified. I was up and walking around that hospital so quick.
   So after several surgeries down south the doctor decided she could do no more for me. She needed to send me to a bigger hospital with a university. She said there we would find a doctor that could handle this,
   She sent me to Shands in Gainesville. When I was seeing the Endocrinologist before the surgery she noticed that I had a rare kind of cancer. She knew a doctor that worked at the VA Hospital across the street and also did some work with them, who was one of the few experts in the country at the kind of cancer that I have. So she asked him to sit in on my appointment.
   Right away as soon as I walked in the room he asked me, "I'll bet every doctor that you've seen has told you there is no cure for the cancer that you have." Right away I just knew he was my doctor and he is still to this day. We moved into the woods outside of Gainesville so I can see him.
   Make no mistake. Cancer is fight of anyone's life. Every day you are fighting just to exist. I am glad I am not fighting alone. My doctor is definitely fighting right beside me. Right now he is trying to get me treatment at Moffit Hospital. We are just going through the red tape with Medicade and such.
   Anyway they finally fixed the problem. When you have multiple surgeries and you have cancer, what can I say? Recovery is a very slow thing. You start to think you'll never be the same again, and maybe you won't be.
   I think I've rambled on enough for now. Maybe I'll write more tomorrow. Maybe not.
   

2 comments:

  1. Keep the fight going brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you found a doctor who is helping you and that you're still swingin' Mad love, Grover!!!

    ReplyDelete